..there more than one way to interprete data…
- Araucaria araucana – the monkey puzzle tree
- Ginkgo tree (Ginkgoaceae)
- Metasequoia – dawn redwood (Cupressaceae; related to Sequoia and Sequoiadendron)
- Sciadopitys “Japanese umbrella pine”
- Taiwania cryptomerioides – one of the largest tree species in Asia.
- Wollemia tree (Araucariaceae – a borderline example, related to Agathis and Araucaria)
- Amborella – a plant from New Caledonia, possibly closest to base of the flowering plants
- Sycamore tree – leaves of fossil sycamores have an incredibly similar phenotype to those living today
- Trapa – water caltrops, seeds, and leaves of numerous extinct species are known all the way back to the Cretaceous.
- Nelumbo – several species of lotus flower are known exclusively from fossils dating back to the Cretaceous.